20 free things to do in Athens in 3 days
- Visit the Acropolis Hill – while there’s a fee to enter the Parthenon and other ancient structures, you can enjoy the stunning views of the city and take photos from outside.
- Explore the ancient Agora – this was the central marketplace of ancient Athens and is now a public park. You can see ancient ruins and take a leisurely walk.
- Walk around the neighborhood of Plaka – it’s a charming area with narrow streets and traditional houses.
- Visit the Monastiraki flea market – even if you’re not buying anything, the vibrant atmosphere of this market is worth experiencing.
- Admire the changing of the guard at Syntagma Square – it’s a unique ceremony that happens hourly.
Day 2: 6. Visit the National Gardens – this tranquil park is a perfect place to relax and have a picnic.
- See the Panathenaic Stadium – you can admire the exterior of this historic stadium where the first modern Olympic Games were held.
- Take a walk in the historical neighborhood of Anafiotika – it’s a hidden gem with traditional white-washed houses and narrow alleys.
- Explore the Aristotle’s Lyceum – it’s a public park that was once the site of the famous philosophical school.
- Visit the Roman Agora – this ancient site features the Tower of the Winds, an impressive structure that served as a timepiece and weather vane.
Day 3: 11. Visit the Benaki Museum – while there’s an admission fee for some exhibitions, you can enjoy free exhibits and see the beautiful building itself.
- Take a stroll along the Athens Riviera – enjoy the coastal views and explore the beaches of Athens.
- Visit the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center – this modern complex hosts free events, concerts, and exhibitions.
- Explore the Psyrri neighborhood – it’s a lively area full of street art, bars, and restaurants.
- See the Hadrian’s Library – this ancient library is a beautiful and peaceful spot to visit.
Other activities: 16. Visit the Hellenic Parliament – while there’s a fee for guided tours, you can see the exterior of this impressive building and watch the changing of the guard.
- Admire the Temple of Olympian Zeus – while you can’t enter the temple without paying, you can see it from outside and take photos.
- Take a self-guided walking tour of Athens – there are many walking tours available online for free.
- Visit the Athens Central Market – you can see the daily life of locals and try some Greek delicacies like olives and cheese.
- Attend free events and festivals – check out the local listings for free events like concerts, performances, and festivals.